Attention Credit Union Account Holders
We received this report of a phishing scam using pop-up banners targeting credit union members. This banner discusses a breach at Fiserv, a provider of technology services to financial institutions offering a free credit check. Of course, in order to receive the free credit check, recipients are asked to provide a credit card information for “identity purposes”. This message is not from Frankenmuth, Fiserv, or any other financial institution, rather it is an attempt to gain credit card information and compromise your account. This usually happens when your web browser is infected with malware. As a reminder, members must NEVER give sensitive information - such as passwords, credit card numbers, social security numbers, secret words or personal identification numbers (PIN) - over the phone, in an email or through a webb site.
Cyber security is extremely important at Frankenmuth Credit Union, and we feel it is important to educate our members on how you can be safer and more aware while using the internet. Below is a featured article, and you can access past articles in our archives.
Most Frequently Used Passwords
Are you using a secure password? The National Cyber Security Centre has recently released a compiled list of the Top 100,000 Most Frequently Used Passwords – which could also be titled “Passwords You Should Never Use.” The top ten on this list are as follows:
Password Tips and Tricks
- Use a password generator to create a random string, and save it in a password manager.
- Do not use a word or phrase that is relevant to you, such as the name of your child or pet, the school you went to, or your street name, as this information may be accessible online.
- Add in special characters and capitalize letters within your password, as this makes it more difficult to crack under brute force.
- If applicable, utilize Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) to add another layer of security to your accounts.
- Use a different password for every account.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Do not save your password in your browser when prompted to.